Since the end of World War 2, the United States has:
- Attempted to overthrow more than 50 foreign governments, most of which were democratically-elected.
- Dropped bombs on the people of more than 30 countries.
- Attempted to assassinate more than 50 foreign leaders.
- Attempted to suppress a populist or nationalist movement in 20 countries.
- Grossly interfered in democratic elections in at least 30 countries.
- Plus … although not easily quantified … more involved in the practice of torture than any other country in the world … for over a century … not just performing the actual torture, but teaching it, providing the manuals, and furnishing the equipment.
ROBERT STEELE: William Blum is one of the greatest historians and investigative authors it has ever been my privilege to know. It is a mockery of democracy, ethics, and patriotism to have morons running for President who not only do not know the facts, but persist in blowing delusional falsehoods at their equally stupid “base.” The truth at any cost lowers all others costs. Or, as Bob Seelert, CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi likes to observe:
When things are not going well, until you get the truth out on the table,
no matter how ugly, you are not in a position to deal with it.
Rule One in any Grand Strategy rooted in intelligence with integrity is “stop doing bad stuff.” What has been done in our name and at our expense includes a panapoly of crimes against humanity easily warranting the indictment of most of our recent political, intelligence, and military leaders. I care deeply for America the Beautiful, the Republic and its Constitution, but I am deeply ashamed of what we have done to our veterans, our middle class, our poor, and the tens of millions of indigenous peoples around the world upon whom we have inflicted great harm.