Excellent but Incomplete–See Other Books Below,
1) Violation of privacy and law re the NSA eavesdropping
2) Initiation and continuation of the Iraq war on web of lies
3) Torture & rendition inclusive of US citizens and violation of habeas corpus, making law and interpreting law
4) Abrogation of power from Congress, exceeding the bounds of excutive authority as established by Constitution and laws in effect.
It is not, however, the whole story. At least two other books by constitutional lawyers must be read to appreciate the gravity and full range of impeachable offences that could be judged by Congress: the book “How Would a Patriot Act,” and the book, “The Case for Impeachment,” which is more substantive than this one. Here is the complete list from the latter book:
1. Stole Florida election in 2000.
2. Lied on Iraq to Congress, the Public, and the United Nations.
3. 9-11 Cover-Up and Obstruction of Justice.
4. Violated Rights of Citizens including Habeas Corpus.
5. NSA Program to Listen to Citizens without Warrant.
6. Violated International Treaties Including Geneva Convention.
7. Actively Encouraged, as a Policy, Use of Torture.
8. Gross Negligence on Hurricane Katrina.
9. Iraq Contract Corruption–Bremer “Lost” $8 billion in cash, sole source awards, and gross negligence in managing the peace.
10. Stole Ohio election in 2004.
Still, that is not the whole story. Congress, with the sole brilliant exception of the most extraordinary Senator Byrd (see my review of his book of speeches against the Bush violations, “Losing America: Confronting a Reckless and Arrogant Presidency”) failed all Americans. To understand the failure of Congress, see Senator/Congressman Tom Coburn’s “Breach of Trust” and the book just out on “Broken Branch” in which the authors make clear that the extremist Republicans in Congress (not the moderate Republicans like Congressman Rob Simmons, an authentic patriot and man of honor) decided they were the President’s “footsoldiers” rather than, as the Founding Fathers intended, the FIRST Branch of Government.
However, even that is not enough. To understand the full extent of the violations that have burned our seed corn, inflicted syphillis on our children, and cost us the moral regard of the rest of the planet, you need to read “The One Percent Doctrine” and “Speaking Freely” and can go on from there to “Downsizing Democracy: How American Sidelined Its Citizedns and Privatized Its Public.” And more. See my lists on evaluating Dick Cheney in relation to both impeachable offenses, and corporate corruption.
It was the Republicans with their grotesque law suite against President Clinton that demeaned Congress and surrended moral authority. This next election may throw out as many Democrats as it does Republicans (Democcrats are Republicans lite–just as corrupt, just less capable), but if we wish to avoid two more years of economic colonialism and unilateral militarism by chicken hawks like Cheney that never served under arms, then we may just have to bite the bullet.
The one thing missing from this book is the “Do It Yourself Impeachment” kit. It turns out that citizens can impeach the President and Vice President if Congress fails to do its dury. Now wouldn’t that be something–restoration of the engaged Republic of the whole.
This is a fine book. My reviews of all of these books are the first investment I recommend, followed by any one of the above.