The original and three copies of this letter, and four copies of the new book, REINVENTING NATIONAL SECURITY — Grand Strategy, Global Reality, and the U.S. Army — Everything Our President Is Not Being Told, were delivered to the White House by FedEx at 0830 on 29 November. Fifteen copies of the letter and the book were delivered to the Secretaries of Defense, Army, 12 active duty flag officers, and one retired flag officer, on Saturday.
Full text of letter and core graphic below the fold.
PERSONAL FOR THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Via: (1) Mr. Matthew Pottinger, Deputy National Security Advisor, copy w/encl
(2) Mr. Robert O’Brien, National Security Advisor, copy w/encl
(3) Mr. Mick Mulvaney, Chief of Staff, copy w/encl
Dear Mr. President,
I believe there is a great deal you are not being told. In his book, Bureaucratic Politics and Foreign Policy Mort Halperin defined RULE 1 in Washington: “Lie to the President if you can get away with it.” The greatest of these lies are the lies of omission – what you are not being told for lack of a proper intelligence (decision-support) process that in turn drives the development of a proper grand strategy and inter-agency architecture.
You do not need to read the enclosed volume, only the integrated one-page graphic. The 201 pages are for everyone else receiving a copy, and their staffs. Both outline possibilities that your Cabinet is not able to offer for lack of both intelligence (decision-support) and imagination. Your instincts have been phenomenally on target.
You need a new Director of National Intelligence (DNI) who can give you, your Cabinet, and all your officers – uniformed and civilian – 100% decision-support instead of 4%. There are two keys to taking down the Deep State: the first is to reduce the secret IC by 70% while also moving the NIC to the EOP and creating the Open Source Agency (OSA) that CIA has fought me on since 1988. You can apply the savings toward retraining all those let go (a “soft landing” as you cut the size of government) while also creating real jobs in the heartland. With the Trump Studio and truth channel provided by the OSA, and #UNRIG – election reform, you assure the Mother of All Landslides in 2020.
The second key is the closing of all our bases overseas – stop being everyone else’s Army and bring those dollars (and jobs) home. There is a role for DoD here at home – a return to the Home Guard concept. Congress will go along if you show that transformation can be job and revenue neutral state by state and district by district. We need to stop letting the Deep State treat DoD as its piggy bank and enforcer – war is a racket, and only you can stop that racket. I seek to help you. You cannot Make America Great Again without first dealing with the endless-war/regime-change complex that also uses our bases as lily pads for human and drug trafficking. My proposals can augment your own good instincts and intentions. The U.S. Army, soul of the Republic, can and will follow your direction.
Robert David Steele
INSERT & ENCLOSURE:
Grand Strategy 2.0, Figure 5: Operationalizing the “Good Peace” Strategy, in Robert David STEELE Vivas, REINVENTING NATIONAL SECURITY: Grand Strategy, Global Reality, and the U.S. Army – Everything Our President is Not Being Told (Earth Intelligence Network, 2019), page 16. Book available in both digital and color print form at Amazon.com. Also free online.
DISTRIBUTION (EACH WITH ENCLOSURE):
- The Honorable Dr. Mark T. Esper, Secretary of Defense
- The Honorable Ryan D. McCarthy, Secretary of the Army
- General Mark A. Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- General James C. McConville, Chief of Staff, Army
- General John M. Murray, Commanding General, United States Army Futures Command
- General Richard D. Clarke, Commander, United States Special Operations Command
- General Kenneth F. McKenzie, Commander, United States Central Command
- General Michael X. Garrett, Commanding General, United States Army Forces Command
- General Joseph L. Lengyel, Chief, National Guard Bureau
- Lieutenant General Daniel J. O’Donahue, Director for Joint Force Development
- Vice Admiral Frederick J. Roegge, President, National Defense University
- Lieutenant General Charles A. Flynn, Deputy Chief of Staff, G-3/5/7
- Lieutenant General Timothy J. Kadavy, Director, Army National Guard
- Lieutenant General Charles D. Luckey, Chief, Army Reserve
- General Carter F. Ham, USA (Retired), President & CEO, Association of the US Army
20191202 “Open Letter to the President: Reinventing National Security,” PhiBetaIota.net
SUPPORTING SECOND BOOK AT AMAZON:
Steele, Robert, EYES ONLY: For the President (and the Public): Everything The Deep State Does Not Want You to Know (Trump Revolution 43) (Amazon CreateSpace, Earth Intelligence Network, October 2019)
Phi Beta Iota: Originally scheduled for publication on 2 December 2019 to coincide with the delivery of the copies to the fifteen individuals on distribution, this has been advanced to assure a good link for a related article forthcoming in two international outlets.