Associate Editor, Emory Magazine
Posted: November 6, 2010 09:36 AM
Here are the top 10 things I learned about true spiritual happiness based on listening to a panel consisting of the Dalai Lama; Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth and Islamic scholar Professor Seyyed Hossein Nasr of George Washington University.
1. Happiness is radically subjective.
2. Happiness, contrary to conventional wisdom, can’t be purchased.
3. Happiness involves the mind and the body.
4. Happiness is generated internally, not by fame or fortune.
5. Happiness can be found here on earth.
6. Happiness occurs in communal celebration.
7. Happiness is not all about us.
8. Happiness can be developed through practice and repetition, prayer or meditation.
9. Happiness comes through perspective.
10. Happiness can be found in beauty.