EXTRACT: Here are some more sobering numbers:
- Over 50% of youth in shelters and on the streets report that their parents told them to leave or knew they were leaving and did not care.
- One IN four homeless youth come from the foster care system
- 33% of heterosexual homeless youth have been sexually abused
- Less than one in four homeless children will graduate from high school
- Every day 12 kids die on the streets of America
Why are there more than 1,600,000 homeless youth right here in our own backyard?
As I continued to study the issue I have found there are basically two camps out there. The main camp are the people, myself included at first, who simply have NO CLUE that this is such a huge problem. Most people I talk to have no idea that this is such a major epidemic.
The second camp is the people who feel the statistics are made up. There are a lot of people who don’t want to believe this could be happening on the streets of our country. Sure there are homeless kids in Africa, India, Pakistan and a host of other third world countries, but not here!
We can no longer allow this epidemic to continue. The future of our great country is in the hands of our children. How can we comfortably sleep at night when so many of our children are alone, scared and living homeless on the streets?
For more info go to GenWhyMovie.com
Rich German is an author, speaker, business & life coach. He is also the creator of the film Generation Why? His website is www.richgerman.com.