Rough patches, but a period cultural piece and for me quite fascinating. Almost a five and not left at four for itself but rather in comparison with other movies as alternative ways of spending time. This is a documentary of one of the greatest American “paraparatzi” of our time, in blends live interviews with re-collective discussions of specific photos that have made history including, most memorably, “windblown Jackie,” and as an American I found it both fascinating and not done deeply or broadly enough. I would have like to see much more. HOWEVER, the movie does whet the appetite for the book No Pictures, and I recommend both.
This movie, and the act of writing the review, brought to my attention other books by this photographer and out of respect I list them:
Edit of 3 May 08: Just finished Who Speaks For Islam?: What a Billion Muslims Really Think and one point that jumped out at me was that the Pope heard from 100 Muslim scholars about basic mistakes in his reconciliation speech. We do NOT understand one another, and any civilization of love is going to have to start there, alone with tolerance.
This is a real gem. The author is learned, balanced, and other than managing to not recognize all the other religions in the world, has written an excellent testament for those of any faith who wish to follow in Gandhi’s path, in Bonhoffer’s path.
I am reminded of a Shi’ite that asked a question of me at the last Hackers on Planet Earth, he told me that Shi’ites in Saudi Arabia who seek to get government jobs, have to answer questions that put them into hell. We cannot go that route. Reconciliation at the community level, one man one bullet at the Dying to Win Logic of Suicide level.
The author provides reflective questions or suggestion actions for reflection at the end of each chapter, and these make the book worthy of more than one reading.
I like the other reviews so after a handful of notes I am going to do my duty by adding links.
+ Knights of Columbus an insurance business that is also committed to charity and unity
+ Popes have recognized that reconciliation is essential but from where I sit, the Catholic hierarchy in particular wants to have it boths ways: secret blood money from the Mafia, and Holier Than Thou on the pulpit.
+ The author explores the moral view of human dignity and I am totally with him. I like this book. As blatantly Catholic as it is, this is a thoughtful author who has done his homework can can hold his own with anyone.
Am loading a few images from Earth Intelligence Network. There is plenty of money for peace and prosperity, we just have to eradicate government and Wall street and prison-medical industry corruption first.
Clever in a sophmoric way–selective, Inconclusive, and naive, February 14, 2008
I have been going blind the past two weeks doing the index to the new edited work by Mark Tovey, COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE: Creating a Prosperous World at Peace, playing DVDs in the background.
This one fooled me right up to the end with its able review of the disconnect between most Arab oil going to China and Europe (so why should the US protect it), the great strengths of the German and Japanese economies, the great wealth of the Arab countries to whom we give most of our foreign military assistance….
I was especially intregued by his use of putative candidates for president promising to pull all our troops back and reinvest in the homeland, something Mayor Mike Bloomberg has been harping on.
Then he pulled the plug with, as I say, a clever but sophmoric conclusion that is NOT, as one “official” review would have it, conclusive at all–the DVD ends with a nuclear explosion and a replay of Hiroshima, with one Asian mother in the rubble asking another to tell her daughter (who is assuredly vaporized) that she loves here. Then she dies and the movie dies with her.
This happens to be my lifetime focus, so here are a few thoughts:
1) For what we spend on war all over the world, $1.3 trillion a year, we could use one third of it to retain essential military and law enforcement capabilites, one third of it to completely rebuild our homeland, and one third of it to invest in massive undersea, outerspace, paranormal, and inter-cultural innovation.
2) Washington DC is run by four crime families: the Clintons, the Bushes, the Republicans and the Democrats. They specialize in picking the taxpayers’ pocket, robbing the many to enrich the few. At the same time, Wall Street has migrated from being a fiduciary trust to being a financial intermediary, and as John Bogle spells out in his most recent book, these asset managers have skimmed off one fifth of the wealth as “fees” without any of the “owners” being any the wiser.
3) The ten high level threats to mankind have now been definitively established, and they are poverty, infectious disease, environmental degradation, inter-state conflict, civil war, genocide, other atrocities, proliferation (which is best practiced by the arms mongering of the five permanent members of the Security Council), terrorism (note how this is NINTH yet consuming the current White House), and transnational crime (the latter a $2 trillion a year endeavor, against $7 trillion in the “legal” economy and an almost certain $1 trillion in corporate fraud and tax avoidance and another $1 trillion in barter and intangible exchange.
The USA needs the following:
1) Electoral reform and a citizenship mindful of its civic duties.
2) Honest politicians committed to transparent open government and no legislation without pre-publication in detail.
3) A strategy that commits to eradicating the ten high level threats, and buy-outs or force-oputs for the 44 dictators, 42 of whom we love to love, two of whom we love to hate (one being Cuba, which has the best health care in the world, the only sustainable agricultural model without pesticide and with full employment, and oh yes, they can send 10,000 doctors to Venezuela without blinking.
4) Recognition that all ten threats, poverty for example, require the harmonization of twelve policis from Agriculture to Water (for example, US wastes roughly a third of the food it grows, which consumed water we cannot afford to lose).
5) Recognize that nothing the US or EUR do will matter unless we can create an EarthGame that serves as the Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth, and presents in compelling terms sustainable architectures that can be adopted by the eight demographic giants who–if they repeat our mistakes–will consume the entire planet within 3 to five generations.
Enough. This is an annoying movie for its lack of nuance and serious understanding of the complexities as well as the opportunities that lie before us.
Afterthought: anyone can search on the terms in brackets for more: [Chinese Irregular Warfare Memorandum oss.net] [Steele Joint Forces Quarterly Asymmetric] [Steele Alternative Paradigm for National Security] [Steele Presidential Leadership oss.net]
And of course there are the books I have written and the ones we are publishing and providing free online at Earth Intelligence Network.