9/11, Dick Cheney & The Hijacking of the U.S. Government*
13 July 2018
As I outline in opening The American Deep State, I have been very concerned by the important and increasingly deleterious impact on American history of what I have called deep events: events, like the JFK assassination, the Watergate break-in, or 9/11, which repeatedly involve lawbreaking or violence, are mysterious to begin with, are embedded in ongoing covert processes, have consequences that enlarge covert government, and are subsequently covered up by systematic falsifications in media and internal government records.
One factor linking Dallas, Watergate, and 9/11, has been the involvement in all three deep events of personnel involved in America’s highest-level emergency planning, known since the 1950s as Continuity of Government (COG) planning, or more colloquially inside the Pentagon as “the Doomsday Project.”
The implementation of COG plans on 9/11 was the culmination of decades of such planning, and has resulted in the permanent militarization of the domestic United States, and the imposition at home of institutions and processes designed for domination abroad.
In short, the COG process – the ultra-secret COG process – has been used even against presidents.
Today, in 2018, I believe more strongly than ever that COG planning, or what the Pentagon called “the Doomsday Project,” is demonstrably the key to America’s response to 9/11: above all, Dick Cheney’s orders to President George Bush and Attorney General John Ashcroft to stay out of Washington, until Cheney and his Chief of Staff David Addington had finished implementing the COG plans Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld had helped develop secretly (even when not in the government) over the preceding two decades.
I believe further that those implemented COG plans, so secret that even responsible Congressional committees have been unable to review them, are the key to post-9/11 features of the deep state, such as warrantless surveillance, warrantless detention, and (as noted above), the permanent and perhaps illegal militarization of the domestic United States.
Peter Dale Scott
DOC (1 Page: 911 POTUS Scott COG As Secret Control Network
Peter Dales Scott is the original conceptualizer and chronicler of the Deep State (originally he called it Deep Politics) as it manifested itself in the assassination of John F. Kennedy by elements of the US Government, the private sector, and foreign powers. Although trained as a political scientist he has been a professor of English and a poet. Daniel Elsberg considers his works on the Deep State the most accurate and comprehensive treatment available, making most other books “read like government propaganda written for children.” Kirkus Reviews calls his first book “staggeringly well-researched and intelligent.” He is the “dean” of non-fiction research on the Deep State and the Shadow Government, and particularly on the use of secret channels and capabilities to subvert the president and the normal processes of government.
*Also Published As:
Peter Dale Scott, “9/11, Dick Cheney and The Hijacking of the U.S. Government,” American Herald Tribune, 12 July 2018.
His Political Science Books:
- The War Conspiracy (1972, OCLC 357579, out of print)
- The Assassinations: Dallas and Beyond (1976, co-editor)
- Crime and Cover-Up: The CIA, the Mafia, and the Dallas-Watergate Connection (1978)
- The Iran-Contra Connection: Secret Teams and Covert Operations in Reagan Era (1987, co-author)
- Cocaine Politics: Drugs, Armies, and the CIA in Central America (1991, 1998, co-author)
- Deep Politics and the Death of JFK (1993, 1996)
- Deep Politics Two: Essays on Oswald, Mexico, and Cuba (1995, 2007)
- Drugs, Oil, and War: The United States in Afghanistan, Columbia, and Indochina (2003)
- The Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire and the Future of America (2007)
- The War Conspiracy: JFK, 911, and the Deep Politics of War (2008, 2013 reissue and expansion of 1972 edition)
- American War Machine: Deep Politics, the CIA Global Drug Connection, and the Road to Afghanistan (2010, 2014)
- Dallas '63: The First Deep State Revolt Against The White House (2015, 2018)
- The American Deep State: Big Money, Big Oil, and the Struggle for U.S. Democracy (2017)