Owl: Visualization of Drone Deaths — 98% “Collateral Damage

07 Other Atrocities, Corruption, Director of National Intelligence et al (IC), Drones & UAVs, Government, Idiocy, Ineptitude, IO Deeds of War, Military
Who?  Who?
Who? Who?

Look at this astonishing visualization of deaths in Pakistan from drones, it was made by a professional studio that specializes in visualizations:  “The visualization, seen below, tracks the victims of the strikes using data from the Bureau for Investigative Journalism, specifically noting children and civilian collateral damage. Note the sharp uptick after President Obama takes office in 2009″:

Out of Sight Out of Mind — Drone deaths in Pakistan:  3,105+, less than 2% valid targets

Also note at the top right corner the number of “high-profile” or “bad guys” killed, which amounts to 1.5%, or 47 out of a total of 3,105 killed. The rest killed, 98.5%, should not have been, are innocents.   Watch a brief interview of the creator of this amazing graphic (which is regularly updated):

Drones Visualization: Every U.S. Drone Strike In Pakistan Since 2004 (GRAPHIC)

“We want to shock people,” Grubbs said. “What we tried to do though with this was not just shock people with the number of casualties, but to shock people with the amount of information that we really don't know.”

This is an insightful comment about the visualization that appears in the link:

“As disturbing as that is, it under-represents the actual damage. This infographic leaves the impression that it's over with deaths, and that the horror is from all the innocent death. But death is not the end. Death sparks a desire for revenge, and generates hate. Innocent death sparks a righteous resolve for revenge, and generates rage. After each death, you have to follow the lines of love from the person killed. Hate for, or rage at, the perpetrator follows the lines of love, spreading to siblings, children, parents, tribe members, culture members, etc. The perpetrator becomes the Devil, the Other, and there is often disproportionate revenge, justified by “an eye for an eye, but tenfold”.  The precedent set by the perp is followed by the victim side, and violence escalates. Back and forth, like the Hatfields and McCoys, or any feud where purpose is lost to simple hate. Soon, the hatred is so strong that capturing “hearts and minds” is impossible. That's why war, ugly as it is, seeks a basis in “right”. “Just war”. Self-defense only. Pay once for killing. Twice that for “collateral damage”. Twice again for “collective punishment”. Soon, there is no justice. Just killing. And hate, and rage. Oh, and “national interest.” Translation: wealth accumulation by the too-wealthy. Eisenhower learned it in WW2, and he was on the “wronged” side. We learned, and forgot, with Korea. Again with Vietnam. Again, Afghanistan, Iraq. Pakistan?”

Financial Liberty at Risk-728x90